How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16545
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some rat poison pellets.

Customer Question

My dog ate some rat poison pellets.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 5 years ago.
When did he eat them? How many/how much did he eat? His approx. weight?
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 5 years ago.
Rat/Rodent Poisoning is a medical emergency. It will do to your pet what it is meant to do to the rodent. Even small amounts are potentially lethal.
-- -
If the animal ingested the poison less than 2 hours ago, induce vomiting quickly. Put a teaspoon to one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in the back of their throat and wait for vomiting. After the episode is finished, do it again, up to three times (but no more). Meanwhile, notify your vet that you’re bringing the animal in right now. Explain what happened and bring the container of poison if at all possible. Treatment must be undertaken right away.
---
Poisons with Dicoumarol (Warfarin), Diphacinone, Brodifacoum, Bromadiolone and other anticoagulants may produce immediate symptoms of drooling, vomiting, changes in behavior, diarrhea and more, but then seem to resolve. What’s actually happening is that the anticoagulant is concentrating in the liver and over a period of days (or weeks), depending on the type of anticoagulant, is destroying liver function and causing internal bleeding. It’s not unusual for a vet to miss early symptoms unless the owner specifically mentions the event - or even the possibility of ingestion.
---
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_rat_poison.html

---
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do we need to give him activated charcoal?? If yes..what amount should we give him and how frequently? We also have Vitamin K but the tabblets are 500 mg and he weighs 13 pounds. Should that be given? Can we dilute the tablets with water..how much of 500 mg should we give him? THANKS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I give him activated charcoal??
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

It looks like your previous expert has gone offline, and I didn't want your questions to go unanswered.

 

In treatment of rodenticide toxicity, often activated charcoal is given to the dog if it's within an hour or two of ingestion, when some of the toxin is still in the stomach. Since it's been so many hours since your dog ingested the poison, giving him the activated charcoal would be a moot point.

 

The Vitamin K therapy is a good idea. Rodenticides interfere with the clotting cascade (meaning the dog can't form clots and can bleed to death) by using up all the Vitamin K in the body. We use supplementation vitamin K to help the clotting cascade work properly.

 

Because I'm not exactly sure what kind of poison the dog ate, I'm going to give you a link to a page that lists treatment options for all types of rat poisons:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/213000.htm .

 

I understand that you may not have access to a vet, but if you do, I strongly urge you to have him seen...

 

I hope he does okay.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16545
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Lisa and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you