Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Rocky, my 5 month-old male Frenchton is ready to start flea prevention. I have looked at t…

Customer Question
Rocky, my 5 month-old male...
Rocky, my 5 month-old male Frenchton is ready to start flea prevention. I have looked at the topicals--Frontline and Advantage, and also the spinosad oral meds like Comfortis. I have two kids and we love to pet the dog and hang out on the couch with him, so I am a little concerned about the pesticide exposure we might get from him. My vet likes the topicals for general safety for the pet, and he remains cautious about the safety of the oral meds. For safety of my kids, I am wondering about the oral meds. We live in NC, so flea control is a must. Could you comment? Thanks. D.C.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog
4/1/2012
Dog Specialist: Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. I use Frontline Plus on both of my dogs and my three sons (5,3,2 year old) are always in contact with my dogs. That said, I to try to limit their exposure to the dogs the first 2-3 days post application. I also like Frontline Plus because of the tick protection. Comfortis will not provide protect from ticks, but I do consider this to be a good flea product. So, if the topicals are a concern for you Comfortis is a great option. I have seen no adverse reactions with Comfortis or trifexis (combo pill that has heartworm prevention and comfortis)
There are other topicals that are much harsher on the dogs and possibly the kids which are commonly found over the counter (ie hartz, zodiac, etc).
Frankly, Frontline, Advantage and comfortis are all acceptable in my mind, depending on what your preferences are.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
hi Dr Jeff,

Thanks for this information--very helpful to have your combined experience as a vet and a parent.
Just one follow up question Re: the safety of the topicals for kids: I was wondering about some of the warnings that have come from govt agencies such as EPA? The gist of this is that there may be a steady release fof the topical insecticide available consistently on the dogs coat, rather than on the skin. I read somewhere online that the process works like this: the topical is absorbed into the follicle, and then released to the hair shafts throughout the 30-day period of activity. If that is correct, I am wondering if we'll learn later that this has been something we should have been more cautious of coming into direct contact with? Probably no way to know the long-term effct this any time soon, but I was wondering if you had heard of this issue? Also, there was even some mention of a slow release of vapors local to the animal, but I don't recall if this was only true for the organophosphates?
In either case, your information gives me a bit more confidence in using either of the two approaches. Not sure yet which I'll choose. Thanks again.
DC
Frontline and advantage are regulated by the EPA and the index of safety is rather high. Like many things in out lives, we need to have some faith in the regulatory process (which is scary in my book if there is political pressure). Frontline is secreted by the sebaceous glands which leads to the product being in the fur at very low concentration. This is why I try to avoid contact for the first few days while concentrations may be higher. In the end, time will tell if there are any long term effects.
Overall, I am not fan of the organophosphate pesticides, pyrethrins, etc. I feel much more comfortable with frontline or advantage.
I hope this helps

Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian