Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Hello my dog its been vomiting white foam with saliva, the

Hello my dog its been vomiting white foam with saliva, the previous day she had diarrhea, she doesnt want to eat, she its been drinking a little bit of water, she its not hyper, she seems tired and like she is dizzy too, her urine is a yellow strong color not brown like a really yellow strong color. her paws are hot and also her nose and the back of her ears. she is a chocolate lab mix she is 4 months. the day she had diarrhea my dad inject her penicillin and the second pavor virus vaccine. she is missing her rabies bbut she hasnt been around of any dog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. Over 13,000 of my answers have been accepted by customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

I want to be sure I have the right information. The pup had one combination vaccination covering parvovirus and distemper at some time in the past.

Your pup is not not eating, but has been vomiting and has diarrhea. Your father after this started then gave your dog penicillin and adminsitered a second combination vaccination covering parvo and distemper WHILE the pup was already ill.

Do I have the facts straight?
If so, how long since she ate?
Is she vomiting up the water as well?
Does the diarrhea smell awful or is it very dark or maroon in color?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

im sorry my name is XXXXX XXXXX the only thing is that she doesnt have diarrhea anymore im im not to sure of the color cuz i was working and my dad was taking her of her this happen sunday when she started with the diarrhea then my dad gave her a shot of penicillin and seen that she wasnt getting better he administered the second parvo virus vaccine when she was still ill, i picked her up last night monday and since last night she is been vomiting a white foam like saliva small amounts though she is hasnt been eating since sunday but she is been drinking water little bit though, she is not vomiting the water she is just vomiting like foam mix with saliva small amounts

Diana,

Dogs that are not eating will vomit up a mucousy substance with is bile. If she can keep it down, you could try some pepcid. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

You could give the pepcid along with a drop of pancake or karo syrup on the tongue to help prevent hypoglycemia which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I'm very concerned over why your dog stopped eating and continues not to eat. The pup may have stopped eating due to being in a strange environment. Antibiotics can cause stomach upset as well, so that might explain some of her reluctance to eat. However, a loss of appetite can also be a symptom of parvovirus and if your pup only had one vaccination previously, she would not be protected.

Here is how vaccinations work. Vaccinations are given multiple times due to them not providing a puppy with immunity until the puppy loses its mother's immunity. A pup may lose its mom's immunity at 4 weeks or 10 weeks. To try and protect puppies, shots are given periodically during this time period usually starting at 6-8 weeks and given every 3 weeks to be sure that at least one shot is given after maternal antibodies are no longer in the pup. This is why most Vets do at least one vaccination at or after 12 weeks.

Vaccines typically take 7-10 days to afford immunity. Additionally, shots need to have 3 weeks between them to be effective.

I would take a fecal sample from my puppy into the vet for testing to test for pavo. If by some chance your dog does test positive for Parvo, ask about Tamiflu treatment for Parvo. It is an off label use, but has an extraordinary recover rate when used to treat Parvo IF it is administered in the first 48 hours of symptoms (normally refusal to eat).

Here is a website that discusses vaccinations in detail.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1648&articleid=960

As you can see from the discussion only 40% of puppies 9 weeks of age were able to create their own antibodies in reaction to the vaccination.

Here is a site that discusses Tamiflu as treatment for Parvovirus.

http://www.bi-mar.com/tamiflu.htm

http://webexchange.net/rescueadopt/a_new_treatment_for_parvoenterit.htm

While there are other causes for a dog to have a loss of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting, given that the dog is not protected against parvo, and tamiflu needs to be started early in the process. I'd get her in as soon as possible to be tested.

I hope this information is helpful to you.