Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has a rash on his groin and stomach area. It is pink

Customer Question
My dog has a rash...
My dog has a rash on his groin and stomach area. It is pink with red spots. It appears he has scratched it to the point of breaking the skin on his stomach. He is a very large breed dog and lives soley outside. I have noticed his scratching for some time, but the groin area was only a little red then. He is two years old.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog
3/16/2012
Dog Specialist: CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

1) Is the area spreading?

CriticalCareVet :

2) Is he on any medication such as flea / tick prevention?

CriticalCareVet :

3) Has your vet evaluated the area?

I think you are having a chat problem:

JACUSTOMER-z8gfy71v- has entered this chat!
6:50 PM
JACUSTOMER-z8gfy71v- has stepped out of this chat.
6:50 PM
6:58 PM

Is this format better?

-

Yes, I was having problems.

1)Yes, the redness seems to be spreading from when I first noticed it. The red spots are new too.

2) We had a flea collar on him about 2 months ago because we noticed his scratching and thought he may have fleas. He doesn't presently have a flea collar on now.

3) No we have not seen a vet about this.

Are there other pets around?

IF yes - are there similar signs?

-
Yes, we have a female 2 year old, Malamute cross who may be pregnant right now. She has thick fur and it is hard to see anything, but she is not scratching like Sully.
With your history - causes to consider would include:
- Bacterial skin infection
- Fleas
- Mites (Sarcoptic Mange)

Often in these cases, an easy way to differentiate the causes above is a good physical examination and a skin scraping (LINK HERE) to look at under the microscope.

If a bacterial skin infection is diagnosed, either primary or secondary, antibiotics will be used.

While we then are able to give direct therapy for the specific cause above based on the evaluation and testing, other options we consider to help in with the signs of discomfort include:

1) Special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.
EXAMPLE 1
EXAMPLE 2

2) Antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE) can also be considered.

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian