Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog has small bumps just underneath her skin and she is

Customer Question
scratching a lot but she...
my dog has small bumps just underneath her skin and she is scratching a lot but she has no fleas,she also bites a lot on her paws.
can you tell me what are these symptoms may tell me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog
3/14/2012
Dog Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 5 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

The bumps under the skin are very possibly a hypersensitivity reaction. This is like a person having a allergic reaction and getting "hives"

Dr. Andy :

The other concern can also be a pyoderma (a skin infection).

Dr. Andy :

It makes sense for some type of allergic reaction with all the scratching as well.

Dr. Andy :

ANY time there is either swelling of the skin or hives over the body, I actually strongly recommend an ER vet visit.

Dr. Andy :

The reason: Steroids. An ER vet can quickly help to get her more comfortable with a steroid injection, and evaluate the skin further.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, it may be helpful to give a antihistamine right now!

Dr. Andy :

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Dr. Andy :

Well worth a vet exam before the skin gets horribly self-traumatized with wounds and infected for sure.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know. I apologize if you had any problems getting into the chat or receiving your answer. Please let me know if you had any difficulties.

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy, Medical Director