Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

English Bulldog. Sore pads and between toes. One foot will

get so bad it is...
English Bulldog. Sore pads and between toes. One foot will get so bad it is like a boil. Also, has a rash on left rear iner leg. Have tried medicine which works for a short while and it is back. It has been mostly with the back feet--then came home from work today and he is limping with lt front foot and now it is swollen on pads and between toes???
3/7/2012
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi Jacustomer-gqv05z35~

Does your vet think this is allergies?

Do you know the name of the medication that worked?

Bruno has been on two different medicines--Cephalexin 500 mg capsules and Clavamox375mg tabs. Both worked, but the price tag on the Clavamox is out of my price range. And Yes, two different Vets think this is an allergy of some kind. Have also changed his food and this has not helped! He will be 9 years old in May and aside from this is a very healthy and happy boy.

Thanks for answering my questions.

As the owner of not one, but two allergy dogs, I can completely understand your frustration!!

With my one of my dogs, the one with the worst symptoms, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so it could very well be that the corn she's been nibbling on is the source of her allergies.

We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check). Obviously since your boy has had reactions to steroids in the past, you won't be able to switch him to the Temaril P, but the Atopica doesn't have steroid in it, so it may be a better option to try.

I also understand how expensive it can be to treat allergy dogs. Luckily, there are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area

My suggestion is that you call your vet and ask if they think VARL testing and Atopica is right for your dog.

.

I hope this helps!!

Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech