smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
25557073

my dog who weighs 55 lbs just ate 11 heart worm pills. Does

my dog who weighs 55 lbs just ate 11 heart worm pills. Does she have a problem with this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  smanimalvet replied 5 years ago.

Hi there-

What type of dog?

What type of heartworm pill?

Dr. B

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She's a German breed called Elo. Looks like a small retriever. The pills were heartgard.

Thank you for the extra information.

There are some breeds that are sensitive to the ivermectin in Heartgard but the Elo dog is not one of those breeds.

Ivermectin which is the active ingredient in heartgard has a very wide margin of safety. I am assuming she ate 11 of the 51-100 pound heartgard. That size heartgard contains 272 mcg of ivermectin.

The dose at which we see clinical signs in dogs can be seen at as little as 1000 mcg/kg in a single dose.

So let's do the math:

Your dog received 2992 mcg of Ivermectin

Her toxic dose would be around 25000 mcg.

By the numbers, her dose is no where close to dangerous but we know some dogs can be sensitive. Even at the dose that causes problems in those breeds, she would still be way underneath a toxic dose. Signs to watch for would be dilation of the eyes or tremors but I don't think you should have any problems!

I hope that helps!

Dr. B

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pills were 136 mcg and 114 mg pyrantel as Pam ate salt for 26 to 50 lbs
Ok great! Even better! That makes the amount she received even lower so I definitely feel she will be fine!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I stand corrected she ate 11 for 20 to 50 lbs and 11 for 50 to 100 lbs for a total of 22 pills. I just gave her peanut butter with peroxide to make her vomit.
Even with the addition of the of the new pills, she still did not receive a toxic dose for a normal dog. Inducing vomiting is not a bad idea but likely not necessary.