Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dogs anal area is swollen above the anus- under the tail-

My dogs anal area is swollen above the anus- under the tail- he does not seem too bothered by it - not tail dragging or scooting but i can see where he as bitten a little on his tail area. Again, the swelling is above the anal area under the tail. He had a bout of diahrrea for 2 days about 4 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

1. Is he still having diarrhea?

2. Is the skin, in the swollen area, red?

3. How much does he weigh? I can give you some over the counter things to try.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No more diahrrea- stools have been soft since he had the diahrrea. The area is not red. He weighs approx 58 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Is it a soft "balloon" type swelling? Can you push the swelling in and make it go away until it pops back out?And the skin is normal? Is he neutered?

Or does it seem to be more like inflammed skin?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am checking-- to see if i can push the swellling in-- he is not neutered. Just a sec. It does seem to be soft balloon type swelling- i can push it in and it opos back out. The skin around his anus is not red except for where it looks like it was irritated and Cody has been biting it a little - same on a small area at the base of the tail - where if it is itching him-- he is biting it a little--
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.
Most likely he has a perineal hernia. This means, the muscles around the rectum have torn. That is why you can push the bump in and it comes back out. That is typical of a hernia. I bet it happened when he was straining having diarrhea. This type of hernia is common in dogs that are not neutered. Your vet will confirm the hernia, put him on antibiotics, and recommend surgical repair. It is not an emergency. It should be fine to wait until tomorrow.