Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

10 year old Miniature poodle has mustard colored diarrhea for

Customer Question
about 4 weeks, has had...
10 year old Miniature poodle has mustard colored diarrhea for about 4 weeks, has had ultra sound of tummy area, been on many antibiotics. switched to rice and cottage cheese and broth and Doctors can not figure out why. In the beginning of this he was throwing up and we got rid of that problem
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog
12/5/2011
Dog Specialist: CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

There are many reasons dogs can have diarrhea.

1) Intestinal infections (hopefully these have been ruled out with a fecal sample - if not, that needs to be done - fecal float, cytology, or even culture)

2) Metabolic causes(kidney and liver for example) - hopefully this has been ruled out with bloodwork.

3) Endocrine causes (disease such as Addisons disease, an adrenal gland issue) may need special bloodwork.

4) There are times when all else is normal, that either surgical or endoscopic biopsoes are needed to determine if there is evidence of intestinal disease (an enteropathy, inflamamtory bowel, or even intestinal cancer)

There are also some dogs that will have either a food hypersensitivity or even a food allergy that can lead to diarrhea and weight issues - LINK HERE.

If biopsies are not possible - just like in people, certain foods may not "agree" with dogs.

One option is to try a different regular brand of dog food to see if your dog tolerates that brand better.

The other option would be a prescription diet used for situations of food hypersensitivities or food allergies.

These would need to be prescribed by a veterinarian. The basis of this hypersensitivity is that there is an allergy to the
protein in the food.

The primary aim of a hydrolyzed protein diet is to disrupt the proteins within the diet sufficiently to remove existing allergens.

The primary aim of a novel protein diet is to use a protein never seen by the body before, to decrease the risk of a hypersensitivity to that protein

Examples include:

1) Hills Z/D (LINK HERE)

2) Purina HA (LINK HERE)

3) Royal Canin Hydrolyzed (LINK HERE)

4) Novel Protein Diet - Duck and Potato Royal Canin (LINK HERE)

5) Novel Protein Diet - Venison and Potato Royal Canin (LINK HERE)

6) Novel Protein Diet - Whitefish and Potato Royal Canin (LINK HERE)

Specifically regarding the stool issue, other considerations would be:

- Malabsorbtion / Maldigestion (LINK HERE)

- Pancreatic insufficiency (LINK HERE)

Other tests looking at Cobalamin, Folate - looking for the digestion issues would be recommended.

I hope this information helps!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian