Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
What kind of dog is she?How old is she?What makes you think it's parvo?Has she had any vaccines?
Are there any emergency vets in your area?
she is a pom
she is little over 5 months
the reason i think its parvo is because she wont eat wont drink and about an hour ago she started to have diarah
there are emergency vets but they want money at time of service
and far as shots go i only got her a month ago the breeder told me she had one set of shots
How often is she having diarrhea?Could she have gotten into any unusual food?Has she been around other dogs?How long have you had her?
Any vomiting?How is she acting?
no there is no other food around she can get to
yes she is around my other 2 dogs both poms and both are up to date with their shots about 3 to 4 weeks and she was schedule to go to my vets monday anyways and no she isnt vomiting diarrhea she only has done that twice she kinda laying around but when i call her she comes she is moving but not her noral bounce self
But she hasn't been around any unvaccinated dogs?Have you ever had another dog with Parvo?
one 10 years ago and no all dogs were vaccinated
Thanks for answering my questions.
As a general rule, the parvo incubation period is anywhere from 3-7 days (sometimes a little longer), and since your puppy hasn't been around any unvaccinated dogs in the month you've had her, it's pretty unlikely that you're dealing with parvo. There's a ton more information on Parvo here: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/a/5-Things-To-Know-About-Canine-Parvo.htm
At this point since the pup has only been sick for a few hours, I think it's okay to wait until morning to call your own vet. I would rub a little Karo or Pancake syrup on her gums, just to ward off any hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) since she's not eating, and keep offering her water. As long as she remains in the same condition that she's in now, you can wait until morning to call your vet...of course, if she starts acting sicker tonight, then you absolutely have to take her in to the emergency vet as soon as possible.
Even if she's acting like she's feeling better by morning...then you still need to call your vet and see if they want to see her...just to be on the safe side.
I hope she's feeling better soon.