Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dogs nail appears to be growing sideways slightly. I

Customer Question
don't think his 'toe' is...
My dogs nail appears to be growing sideways slightly. I don't think his 'toe' is and I don't think it's causing him any pain but it's worrying me a bit.
Here's a pic of it https://picasaweb.google.com/101176356143214978724/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCLCIu7SAnLOBBg#5673340848721447682
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog
11/10/2011
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Where did you get the dog and how long have you had him? What is the dogs age? Did the dog recently play hard?

Hi Sally

I got my dog from a local breeder from a little of four dogs and one bitch He's a Bedlington Terrier and I've had him since he was 9/10 weeks old. He's now about 10 months old. Technically they weren't breeders, they have two Bedlington's who did the deed and voila!

I have problems trying to cut his nails so they are quite long.

He hasn't been playing or exercising any harder than usual and like a said before, it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain or anything.

Thank you for that information. There are diseases that can cause an abnormality of the toe nail and you may not notice it until the dog's nail gets long but it would be advisable to have an x ray and be sure the toe is not broken. Even if it is broken there is nothing that can be done , similar to what we do to a human toe, which is nothing. The toes are used by the dog to balance the dog and some can be removed without harm if it is a disease. I know what you are thinking, if it were broken would he not be limping? Well if it happened before you got him then it is already set and as he is growing, his nails are getting longer it has become more noticeable. I have girl Newfoundland that was poorly bred and poorly taken care of as a pup, I had always kept her groomed nails trimmed the whole bit by a professional, she is now 10 years old and with money tight I do the grooming now myself and that is when I saw on her what you are seeing, a nail growing sideways so she had an x ray and it was a broken toe. She had never showed any pain or limping while with me so the suspicion was it happened as a pup and neglected by the breeder.

But there are diseases as I mentioned above that can cause a deformity of the nail other than a broken toe and I am going to direct you to two sites that explain these problem and how they are treated. I would have the foot x rayed in any case just to be sure though. Remember dogs do not always outwardly display pain by yelping when you touch an area, they may more show it in their every day life like a slight limp now and then, reluctance to play as normal etc.

explanation of the dogs foot and possible diseases:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/structure-and-function-of-the-claw-and-footpad-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Onychogryphosis is a deformity of the claw http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/grooming/nailconditions.htm

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant