Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Puppy throwing up: What to do?

Customer Question
JACustomer: My 4-weeks-old puppy is throwing...

JACustomer:

My 4-weeks-old puppy is throwing up. What should I do? It is part pit bull and labrador litter of 5. We just started feeding her blended IAMS puppy food mixing with water. She is shivering and vomiting stuff that looks like cooked egg. She is less than one year old.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2011
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 6 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Expert:

Is it still nursing from mom?
Have you been weighing the pup every day to ensure she's not losing weight?
Did they had their first vet check yet?

JACustomer:

Yes, they are all still nursing from mom. We have not weighed them at all until today. They all appeared to be gaining weight and getting bigger every day. No vet check-up yet. Today is Sunday and I don’t have enough money for an emergency visit.

Expert:

Has the puppy only been throwing up today?

How many times have you fed them IAMS?

JACustomer:

Yes, the puppy has only thrown up today. We have fed IAMS 3 times. Before that, the mother dog has been fed puppy chow mixed with pedigree.

Expert:

The puppy could be having some digestive upset from adding the dog food into her diet, so I think if it were me, I'd skip giving her any more dog kibble tonight and just allow her to nurse instead. If you don't think she's eating at all, then you can try rubbing a little Karo or pancake syrup on her gums just to keep her from becoming Hypoglycemic (low blood sugar).

If she's still acting sick tomorrow, then you must need to have her seen by her a regular vet. I understand that finances are an issue, but if she continues to be sick tonight, then you should have her seen by an emergency vet, just to be on the safe side.

I understand that you (like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help, if you follow this link

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

You will find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free examinations and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. You can follow the below link for that

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

You can check, if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps.

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech