Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

What can I give my poodle for constipation?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 years ago.

Hi jacustomer-4x8zipja~

How long has she been constipated?

Is she on any medications?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has been constipated most of her 10 years. She is only 5 lbs so I have to be careful with dosages. She walks to get a BM. I just thought it is because of her size. I just asked before this question if I could give her a small amount of omeprzole . She is taking Cafarate but this only helps some with vomiting small amount of dog food. Otherwise she is quite healthy and energetic dog.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

My favorite constipation cure is simple canned (or fresh, boiled) pumpkin or squash. You have to make sure that it's real pumpkin though, NOT pumpkin pie filling.

Usually if you add a tablespoon or two to every meal, it's enough to keep things moving smoothly. I like it because it's not a medication so you don't have to stress about doses or amounts. You can't really overdose her on pumpkin!

I hope this helps.