Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog swallowed a steak bone. couple inches long. rib steak.

My dog swallowed a steak bone. couple inches long. rib steak. Dog is 11yr old lab mix. He just swallowed it in one gulp. It had been cooked on grill. very little meat on the bone. Will this hurt him? Is there anything I should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your Lab Mix and see what happens. There is really not many other options as it would be contraindicated to induce vomiting to make him sick to recover the steak bone because sharp objects like bones can cause problems on the way back up. In my experience most dogs will get way with this, it is a common occurrence which vets advise on frequently.

When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your dogs to swallow this bone whole the chances are it will be small enough to pass without problem. Also some digestion and softening of bones is possible by the stomach acids which will help it eventually pass as well.

However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to dogs and bones such as intestinal tract damage and blockage. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet again without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be generally unlikely though.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS