Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

can i give my dog childrens non drowsy cold medicine for a

can i give my dog childrens non drowsy cold medicine for a stuffy nose
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Probably not because you can not give dogs acetaminophen, or ibuprofen, as well as some other ingredients it may contain.

You can give her antihistamines though.

The dose of benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight. So if she weighs 25 pounds, you could give her 25 mg of benadryl every 12 hours as needed.

You can also give zyrtec. If she is under 20 pound, give her 1/4 a 10 mg tablet once day. If she is 20-50 pounds give her 1/2 a 10 mg tablet once a day. If she is over 50 pounds, give her a whole tablet once a day.

You can also try nasal saline drops. They sell them at the drug store and they are very inexpensive. Put two drops in each nostril twice a day. This will help relieve nasal congestion and inflammation.

Take her into the bathroom while you take a shower because the steam will help as well.

You can keep a humidifier in her room too.