Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Dog Cries When Pooping

My two year old dog yelps when he poops. Took him to vet and she evacuated his anal glands 4days ago. All was better, but he yelped again today. What do you recommend. My husband wants to know about surgery. Help me!

I am so sorry your little one is having trouble.I would love to help. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Did the vet do any x rays?

Does he eat things he should not such as toys, rocks sticks etc?

Is he neutered?

Is the stool normal?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ritzy is neutered. No xrays but blood test showed he is bait dehydrated. I was shocked because he drinks a lot of water. Admittedly he eats people food one half of the time...He is not light 20 lbs for part poodle and yorkie. It hurts me to hear him cry. The vet said feed him dog food. That is hard to do

Thank you for the additional information.

Dyschezia is the medical term used to describe painful defecation.This can be due to several things.

Colitis, prostate disease, problems in the pelvis. Anal polyps, growths in the colon, narrowing of the colon and many more.

Here is additional information

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dyschezia-in-dogs-painful-defecation/page1.aspx

If he is this painful when passing stool then some additional testing really needs to be done.

X rays to look in the abdomen for any abnormalities. If x rays are normal the a scope of the rectum and colon would be warranted.

Problems with a disc in the lower back can also cause pain when defecating. Back injuries are common in small breeds and even more so in over weight dogs.

A perineal hernia can also cause this problem

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/reproductive/c_dg_perineal_hernia

I would suggest getting him back in to the vet as soon as you can for additional testing.

Please let me know how he is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Candy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What about the dehydration? Candy, the reference you send requires a payment to read, can you tell me more.

Sorry for the delay I lost internet connection due to some storms. Dehydration can be due to many things how is he with drinking? You can try adding some low sodium chicken broth 1/2&1/2 to his water.

You do not have to register to read the article just close the box and you will be able to read it.