Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog ate miracle grow organic fertilizer 12 hours ago. Called

Customer Question
my dog ate miracle grow...
my dog ate miracle grow organic fertilizer 12 hours ago. Called miracle grow and they said nothing is toxic and dog should be ok with maybe some gas. that was 12 hours ago and when i got up this morning the dog could barely walk and cried when she moved. she seems to be breathing ok but my vet doesn't open for another hour and I do not know what to do... she is in great distress when she moves. is sleeping now. help.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog
3/23/2011
Dog Specialist: Dr. K, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian

Dr. K :

If she is in that much distress, then I would take her to the local emergency clinic.

Dr. K :

All vets either see their own emergencies or refer to an emergency clinic.

Dr. K :

This does sound like an emergency...if she is in this much discomfort.

Dr. K :

I'm not sure what is in miracle grow...let me go to their website and see if I can get an ingredient list...

Customer:

she is unstable when she walks

Customer:

poultry feathers and chicken manure

Dr. K :

Which one was it specifically? They list a bunch under Organic plant food...

Customer:

"all purpose organic plant food"

Dr. K :

If you lift her upper lip and look at her gums above her teeth, are they the same color as yours or do they look significantly different to you?

Dr. K :

The concentrate, the spray or the stuff in the bag? They are all called "all-purpose"

Customer:

they do not seem to be as pink as usual. somewhat dark

Customer:

the granuals in the bag

Dr. K :

Dark red?

Customer:

kind of dark red

Dr. K :

That is not good.

Dr. K :

She needs to go to an emergency clinic right now.

Customer:

what does it mean? I will be at the vets in 25 minutes

Dr. K :

Brick red gums are a sign of severe circulatory shock.

Dr. K :

I'm trying to read the label on the bag on the computer...not easy..

Dr. K :

It looks like there are a lot of nitrogen compounds...just checking a reference to see what this means.

Dr. K :

This not a common thing for dogs to eat...so, I'm not 100% familiar with this type of poisoning.

Dr. K :

Hello...I'm just looking at a website that explains the metals levels in these fertilizers....this may be the problem for your dog...the website is a little difficult to navigate...so bear with me. :)

Customer:

thank you

Dr. K :

I'm still trying...I was directed to a USDA type website that explains the content of many fertilizers. I am looking specifically for this one...but many of them seem to contain lead. Which, obviously, is not good.

Customer:

the bag says it contains pasturized pettetated poultry litter and feather meal

Customer:

I am heading to the vet now and can be contacted by text on XXX-XXX-XXXX.... will not be responsive for a few minutes as I need to carry my black lab out to the car.

Dr. K :

Yes, I know that is the ingredient list...that is a partial ingredient.

Dr. K :

The ingredients contain...also levels of certain metals. And other things put in fertilizers.

Dr. K :

I can't seem to find a specific list...but other organic fertilizers seem to have similar ingredients and contain many metals that can be harmful to animals if ingested in large quantities. Lead,Selenium, Zinc, etc...Many organic fertilizers also contain Arsenic as an herbicide for weeds. This can be quite deadly to dogs.

Dr. K :

These are all possibilities for your dog.

Dr. K :

I cannot text you...I am sorry.

Dr. K :

I can only contact you in this manner.

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with your dog this morning.

Dr. K :

Please let me know how she does....

Customer:

vet said that so much nitrogen can disrupt the neuro sensors in the dogs body. He is flushing her system, and kidneys, doing blood work, and hydrating her. Vet believe that there will be no permanent damage to her system, but will know more by later this afternoon. The particular fertilizer had no weed killer/ arsenic / herbacide in it. He also got a product material safety sheet from the manufacturer and believes there were no metals or lead in the fertilizer. Waiting for call this afternoon to pick up our lucky (hopefully) dog Jewell. Thank you for your advice this morning......... Joe Keimig Missoula Montana XXX-XXX-XXXX

Dr. K :

You are very welcome Joe. I am so glad that he thinks she is going to be ok. Please let me know when she pulls through.

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, then please remember to click on the "accept" to show that you were pleased with your service.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian