How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Drew Your Own Question
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16851
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Drew is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog started throwing up foamy bile since last night. this

This answer was rated:

My dog started throwing up foamy bile since last night. this is the most she's ever thrown up ever - 4 year old Bull Terrier. I took her out last night before bed and she ate a bunch of grass and threw up outside. When I woke up today she had puked in her crate and when I let her out she puked on the floor twice. All together she's puked 10 times in the past 12 hours. We had a party last night and there were some grapes, but she couldn't have eaten more than 10 if she ate any at all. What should I do? Is there anything I can do to help her without going to a vet?
Hi, thanks for your question. Grapes can cause severe kidney failure in dogs, so even one or two is a situation not to be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. It is possible that this vomiting is due to having eaten something else, which may have triggered pancreatitis, a common problem in dogs who have been fed items that they are not used to. Because of the life-threatening risks with grape ingestion, my best suggestion is to get her to a veterinarian immediately, so that she can be started on IV fluids to help protect the kidneys.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to avoid the vet if at all possible. Is there anything I can do at home to help her? Is there a time frame that if she keeps throwing up it is life threatening?
You will be risking kidney failure and death if she is not started on intravenous fluid. It's important that you realize that.

At-home care of stomach upset usually involves restricting food and water for 8-10 hours. A single dose (one time) of pepto-bismol sometimes will settle the stomach (1 tablespoon per 30-40 pounds), but otherwise, no oral medicines are likely to be useful in such a case. Certainly, nothing is going to prevent kidney damage if she is one of the dogs that is susceptible to grape poisoning.
Dr. Drew and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you