Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

MY DOG WONT USE HER BACK LEGS, SHE SITS ON HER BUTT AND SCOOTS

MY DOG WON'T USE HER BACK LEGS, SHE SITS ON HER BUTT AND SCOOTS AROUND LIKE A BABY. SHE IS ONLY 7 1/2 AND WAS FINE YESTERDAY MORNING...AROUND 2PM YESTERDAY I FOUND HER STANDING IN THE BATHROOM AND PICKED HER UP AND PUT HER IN THE LIVINGROOM..SHE SAT DOWN AND HASN'T STOOD UP AGAIN.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
HI,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. When a dog isn't using their rear legs, we are most concerned with a spinal cord injury / compression. A disc in the spine can prolapse / rupture and put pressure on the spinal cord and cause paralysis of the rear legs. The other things that can cause this are blood clots to the spinal cord, masses in the spinal cord causing pressure, and spine trauma causing a fracture.

Given the fact that she's not using them, she should be seen by your vet or an ER clinic immediately for an evaluation of her situation. Based on the physical exam, they can give options for medical and surgical management.

Here is a good link on disc injuries.
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2373