Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dogs are cocker spaniels. They are itching all the time.

Customer Question

my dogs are cocker spaniels. They are itching all the time. I think the problem is either mites of no seeums. How do you deal with this problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Where are the most itchy areas on their bodies? Are the ears filled with any debris?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Their stomach, back legs and private areas. Their ears are perfect. I have three cocker spaniels, all sisters, and are 2 years old. Great dogs. They itch mostly at night. They sleep with us in our bed. We continue to change the linens very often. We have tried different dog foods. We are currently on Taste of the Wild.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. With two itchy dogs in the home, and this distribution of itchy areas, I'd be concerned about possible sarcoptic mange. Your veterinarian can perform a skin scraping, to check for the mites that cause this, or treatment can be started, since it is well tolerated. usually we give two injections of Ivermectin, 2 weeks apart, and re-evaluate. A food allergy or other allergy would be very unlikely to affect two dogs in the same locations on the body, so I'd strongly suggest asking your veterinarian about the possibility of sarcoptic mange.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They have no sores. They only itch and mat up their hair. By the way, I have 3 cocker spaniels, not two. Need other alternative answers, preferrably natural.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Sarcoptic Mange often produces only itching, with no visible sores. Did I have any way of knowing that you had 3 dogs, not two? I apologize if I somehow offended you by only discussing two dogs rather than three. If all are affected, the explanation is no different.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Other.
As I told the original expert, I am looking for alternative answers. Preferably one that I can minister. Also, natural, if possible. My Vet saw the areas on the dogs and said nothing about mange. I prefer not to medicate my dogs.