Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog wont eat after surgery

Dog won't eat after surgery...
Dog won't eat after surgery
2/16/2011
Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Hinson :

Hi there. I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

Dr. Hinson :

So, the surgery was 1 month ago?

Dr. Hinson :

Has not eaten since then?

Dr. Hinson :

What have you been trying to feed him?

Dr. Hinson :

Is he taking any medications now at all?

Customer:

Yes surgery was one month ago. He ate with a very light appetite when coming home; I thought it was because vet had him on a canned prescript u/d diet & he just did not care for it, but that was not the case because I switched foods in attempt to get him to eat more because I noticed him loosing weight. So on & off he has not ate well for a month, but last week about Wednesday he was crying a lot & uncomfortable so I took him to the vet where they did a blood work up & xrays & found he had a bladder infection so they put him back on antibiotics & pain meds. I have tried every kind of canned dog food possible; have cooked unseasoned steak, chicken, ground beef, pork, bacon, etc. The last time he actually ate a normal amount was last Friday. Thinking that there could be a correlation with the pain med I took him off the rimadyl on Friday & still have not noticed anything getting better. I have force fed with a tube Ensure (the vitamin drink stuff for old people) for days now. Took him back to the vet yesterday & they did urine/blood work again & everything shows up fine. He still has 5 days or so of antibiotics & now giving him laxatone just in case it is an obstruction (but no vomiting). He is not running fever & doctor believes it could be cancer of the bowel of some kind or a cranial/mental/tumor possibility. His xrays last week did show he had some spurs on his back & that is why they put him on the rimadyl, but before this surgery he showed no symptoms of back/hip issues. Saturday & Sunday I gave him milk of magnesia thinking he could be constipated as he was walking around a lot trying to eliminate his bowel unsuccessfully. Before trying the laxatone last night we did see a bowel movement with a lot of hair in it so we were hopeful this could be the issue, but today he is still not eating.

Dr. Hinson :

Well I think it may be a combination of pain and upset stomach. He may have stomach ulcers from the medication (Rimadyl).

Dr. Hinson :

First thing I would do is not give him any more Milk of Magnesia or Ensure. It is not bad to do once or twice but for multiple days. Milk of Magnesia can cause dehydration and really upset the natural balance of electrolytes. It contains magnesium which is carries a very delicate balance in their system. Too much can be a really bad idea. As for the Ensure, it is not really formulated for dogs and it also contains magnesium and other electrolytes.

Dr. Hinson :

So, what we need to do is get his stomach feeling better and get him some pain medication. Ask your vet if they can get you a drug called Tramadol. If they don't carry it they can write you a script and you can pick it up at any pharmacy as it is a human drug. It is not an anti-inflammatory, it is strictly a pain medication. It works really well!

Dr. Hinson :

As for the stomach, go to any pharmacy and buy Prilosec (omeprazole) 20mg tablets and give him 1/2 tablet once a day. It is an over the counter medication. It will heal any gastric (stomach) ulcers he may have and prevent any from forming. If he doesn't have ulcers it will not hurt him in any way. Give him this for 2 weeks on an empty stomach even if when he starts back eating.

Dr. Hinson :

Start medications tonight if possible and don't offer him anything at all but water for the next 24 hours.

Dr. Hinson :

He is not passing any feces because he isn't eating so I'm not worried about that.

Dr. Hinson :

When you do start to offer food I would recommend meat baby foods.

Dr. Hinson :

If he doesn't seem better in a couple days you really need to get him maybe to a different vet for a second opinion.

Dr. Hinson :

He may need a barium series of xrays to check for some type of intestinal blockage or problem.

Customer:

Thank you! I will try your suggestions starting tonight & consider doing the xrays with barium next.

Dr. Hinson :

Your welcome. I really hope he does well. Many dogs don't like the u/d so maybe when he gets back to normal you can ask your vet to check into a different prescription diet to prevent the stones from recurring.

Dr. Hinson :

For now you just want to get him to eat whatever he wants!

Dr. Hinson :

How is his activity, by the way?

Customer:

He does not want much activity. Will not play, but will walk around the block on his leash. I was worried he was depressed as this was very tramatizing for him since his very first medical issue of any kind.

Customer:

I am on the phone with the vet right now requesting the Tramadol. If the vet will prescribe this willingly today should I combine the stomach med & Tramadol?

Customer:

sorry clarification, should I give the o/c stomach med & tramadol tonight together? Thanks!

Dr. Hinson :

You can give them both tonight but I would give the Prilosec and then wait at least one hour and then give the Tramadol.

Customer:

perfect!! thanks again!

Dr. Hinson :

You are so welcome!

Dr. Hinson :

The Tramadol will help long term with his back arthritis too!

Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian