Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog wont lay down, seems unsettled

Customer Question
My dog won't lay down...
My dog won't lay down, seems unsettled
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog
1/1/2011
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 7 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your boy is having trouble. I have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has he been doing this?

When did he have the medication?

How is his breathing?

What color are his gums?

Is they any enlargement in the abdomen?

How has he been acting before this all started?

Has he been urinating and defecating normally?

Any other known health problems other then bad hips?

This began today. I noticed it when I got home from work. My Mom was with him all day but she didn't mention anything. I gave him the medication because I thought he was in pain about 90 min ago but he is still not settling down. He's has been on chicken and rice for a few weeks. Everytime, we start to slowly incorporate his food his stools get really loose again. He does have a very sensitive stomach. I don't know about urinating. I have not seen him do so since getting home. His gums look normal. His breathing is not normal almost panting a little. He did eat a little bite of chicken.

Can you tell if his stomach is any larger then normal?

Has he had any vomiting?

When was he last seen by a vet?

Will he lay down at all, if so does he keep his head up or extended.

Sorry for all the questions, with out being able to see him I have to reply on information.

As soon as you reply back I will type up your answer so please stand by after your reply

I felt his belly and did not feel any lumps. It felt normal to me. They did full blood work on him about 4 months ago. He was seen about a month ago when his poops were loose with mucous. They were good this morning. He lays down with his head normal. He just gets up right away like he is uncomfortable. He did just drink some water. He is laying down right now. There hasn't been any vomiting.

Ok.

The panting and refusing to lay down could indicate pain this may be in the abdomen or back. If in the abdomen it may be the kidneys, liver, spleen or pancreas.The fact that he has had loose stool for several weeks could also indicate a problem with the liver, pancreas or kidneys. I know blood work was done 4 months ago but things can change very quickly in a large breed older dog.

This behavior is also seen in dogs that are having fluid build up in the chest and or abdomen due to a problem with the heart or liver. If fluid builds in the lungs or abdomen laying down can make it hard to breath.

This breed is prone to a condition called DCM

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dilated-cardiomyopathy-in-dogs-dcm/page1.aspx

If this was related to the hip pain I would have expected to see the Tramadol helping which it appears it is not. Because he is an older dog and there is a possibility this is something serious I would really suggest having him seen tonight at the local animal emergency.

I know that this is not what you want to hear on New Years Eve but it is what would be best for him.They may want to repeat blood work, and do x-ray to look in the abdomen and at the heart and lungs

Please let me know how he is doing, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Candy

Edited by Candy on 1/1/2011 at 4:27 AM EST
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician