Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

How do I treat my dogs neck muscle sprain

How do I treat my dog's neck muscle sprain?

Have you had Elsie examined for the symptoms she is showing?

Is there a head tilt?

Is she limping on a front leg?

How did she hurt herself?

Joan

Edited by Joan on 12/18/2010 at 6:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She was playing with us, just running around and having fun but, when we came in the house, she couldn't turn her head to the right and look at us...only from the left. You can tell she's uncomfortable and cries a little when she moves at a certain angle. She allows me to put a warm bean-bag on her neck but couldn't sleep on the bed with us last night. While we normally run for the vet the moment she shows pain, limping, etc. we felt this was something that would go away in a few days.

Hello and Happy Holidays,

What you are doing is one of the best treatments if this is a strain or sprain. Heat and crate rest. The C spine area is where the problem is located. My biggest concern would be if she has blown a disc in the neck. We do not want to use any over the counter medication since most are toxic and the one cthat can be given can cause a problem if your dog needs to be medicated by your Vet on Monday. At this point you can continue with what you are doing through the weekend using heat and gentle massage on the neck as well as rest. If there is is no response, you will need to get into the Vet for an Exam. early Monday They may start a muscle relaxer, or anti inflammatory depending on what they find. I am sure there will be an X ray done to see if there is a disc problem or something going on. that is not visable. Keep up the rest and heat and no exercise, jumping, running, etc. Joan

Edited by Joan on 12/18/2010 at 8:37 PM EST