Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is walking backwards and seems in pain. His back is

My dog is walking backwards...
My dog is walking backwards and seems in pain. His back is rounded and he trembles when I touch him. His abdomen seems very hard. Could this be something digestive?
12/11/2010
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist

What breed or mix is your dog? If you don't know, how big is he (weight)?

When did he last eat?

Has he been wretching as if he has to vomit, but can't?

Does he seem to be straining to pass some droppings?

Thank you for the additional information.

Anna
He is about 10lbs and he is a rat terrier. He ate a couple bites of food tonight, but then he started walking backwards and sat down. He has been constipated bad in the past and I took him to the vet. They xrayed him and it showed his bowels were very full. The next day after a bowel movement he was fine. He doesn't seem to be straining to pass anything he does seem awful tight in his abdomen and when I touch him he trembles as if in pain. I have not tried to pick him up for fear of hurting him. He it not trying to vomit or gag.
Thank you for getting back to me. You're right that your dog is exhibiting signs of severe pain in the digestive system. The best thing to do would be to take him to a vet tonight. From your description, it sounds like he so severely constipated that home remedies won't help.

If he will eat, you can add a couple of spoons of canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not sweetened pie filling) to the food. Pumpkin tends to normalize stools. A spoonful of flaxseed is another possibility. Two teaspoons of a vegetable oil, such as olive or canola, may also help. Getting more liquid into his system may also help, so you can see if he'll drink some chicken or beef broth.However, in a case this severe, these may not get any results. Your vet may need to give him an enema. I do recommend trying to see a vet tonight because of the pain your dog is in.

After this problem is cleared up, you may want to consider a diet change since he's had this problem before. If he's fed dry food, switching to canned may help. You could add a little canned pumpkin every day. A bit of salmon oil in his food would also be good for him. Here is a link to a reputable brand:

http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dog will be fine.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. Thank you.)

As I was sending you the other information, he did vomit however it was clear with the couple of bites of food I gave him. He is still walking backwards or just sitting down. I just called him and he tried to walk to me but he just backed up and sat back down. Is the backing up a sign that he is in worse distress than he was the first time? Also the vomiting has me very concerned.
You're right to be concerned. The vomiting could mean he has a complete blockage. If he does, it can be dangerous to get any more food into his body, as it only complicates things. I can't really judge if his distress is worse than the first time, but he is certainly in a great deal of distress. If your vet doesn't see emergencies, and you need help finding an emergency clinic, give me your location, and I'll try to locate one for you.This is one of those situations where it is better to be safe than sorry.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist