Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Why Does My Dog Have Blood In Her Urine and Urinary Continence?

Customer Question
My female dog has blood...
My female dog has blood in her urine, urinary incontinence, and a rash on her belly. She is otherwise drinking and eating and acting normally. This has been going on for about 5 days. What could this be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog
11/23/2010
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 7 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

It sounds like your dog most likely has a Urinary tract infection though there are other reasons for blood in the urine.. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. .

It is also possible that bladder stones, or a prostate infection or a bleeding disorder may be the cause. Your Vet should check those possibilities out as well.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. Your dog is displaying blood in the uring and incontinence which is 2 symptoms. I do urge you to have your dog seen by a vet.

Blood in the urine can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections.

Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.

Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.

Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.

Urinary bacterial infections can occur in bladder (most common), kidneys, urethra, and prostate. They are easily treated once diagnosed. They are the major cause of the prostate disease in male dogs. The prostate becomes inhabited by bacterial and it becomes difficult to eliminate. Some other conditions such as diabetes, cancer and viral diseases affect a dog's immune system and may contribute to this condition.

As long as your dog is able to urinate, it isn't considered an emergency, but if she becoomes unable to urinate, then she should be seen immediately. I wouldn't wait too long as if it is stones, they can be quite painful. If it is another cause, it would be best to have it diagnosed early. The rash might just be from the urine on the skin. This can cause a dermatitis. Try and keep the area disinfected with benziod peroxide wipes and then dry thoroughly to tie and keep the bacterial down in the area.

What about the rash on her belly?

I believe the rash is likely to be a dermatitis due to the skin coming in contact with the urine. This can cause a dermatitis. Try and keep the area disinfected with benziod peroxide wipes and then dry thoroughly to trt and keep the bacterial down in the area. You might try miconazole cream on the area, but since you have to see the vet for the blood in the urine, he may give you some cream for that then.