Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 12 year old Vizsla has a black growth on her lower eyelid

My 12 year old Vizsla has a black growth on her lower eyelid that is starting to make her lower eyelid sag open...We initially were told by the vet and breeder to ignore this, but with the eyelid sagging I cant ignore it....can/should this be removed?

RebeccaVet :

Hi Squan, Thank you for your question about your dog.

Customer:

Hi there....

RebeccaVet :

It is hard to say, without being able to see her, but if the growth is pulling her eyelid down, it should probably be removed. If she can't blink normally, she can't cover her eyeball with tears, and this can lead to damage to the eyeball.

Customer:

I understand ...

RebeccaVet :

My best recommendation would be to remove it before it gets much bigger.

Customer:

we worry about anesthesia at her age..

RebeccaVet :

Age is not a disease and there is no age at which I would not anesthetize a dog. I would recommend a good physical exam before anesthesia to assess heart and circulatory function, and some blood tests to check liver and kidney function. If she has good liver, kidney, and heart function, being under anesthesia for a short procedure like this should be fine. I have anesthetized dogs much older than her. Age does not make you more susceptible to problems with anesthesia; only disease like poor circulation, poor kidney function, and liver disease make you more susceptible to anesthesia.

RebeccaVet :

I have anesthetized dogs as old as 17, and cats older than 20.

Customer:

Thank you very much for the information, she's recently had blood work, physical and all that...and everything appears in order.....we'll get it removed....Thanks again.....

RebeccaVet :

If you are really worried, you could look into having a board certified veterinary anesthesiologist do the anesthesia. There are traveling anesthesiologists, and maybe there is one in your area. You could go to a veterinary school, where there would be specialists like this.

RebeccaVet :

Good luck with the operation.

RebeccaVet :

Do you have any more questions? If so, please let me know. If not, please accept my answer so that the website compensates me for an answer.

Customer:

We have an excellent facility in Red Bank NJ named Red Bank Animal Hospital...thanks again...