Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

my dog got bit by a wild animal it was dark so I dont know

Customer Question

my dog got bit by a wild animal it was dark so I don't know what it was she is 3 years old and got the rabbies vaccine when she was one year old she has not received any boosters ever since is she protected from rabbies at this time , what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

It would be best if you could get your dog seen in person by a vet as soon as possible, so her wound can be evaluated and she can get a rabies booster shot. She should have some protection from her vaccination when she was a year old, but it's important to keep up with the boosters, on the schedule your vet recommends.

Cleaning the wound with hydrogen peroxide or betadine scrub to disinfect it and then applying the plain Neosporin is good first aid until you can get her to the vet.

If the wound is not actively bleeding, that's good, but if it is bleeding and you can't stop it by applying pressure, you need to have her seen as soon as possible.

You've done everything you can do at home, so bring your dog to the nearest ER vet center, if your vet doesn't have emergency hours and it is now after hours for you.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is it ok if I didn't wash the wound, my dog was frihgten and I was scared of getting bit by her so I only applied the topical antibiotic mentioned above

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

It's best to wash the wound to flush out as best as you can, bacteria contained in the saliva of the animal that bit her. If your dog is upset and trying to bite you while you were trying to tend to her wound, there was nothing else you could do at the time. If she is calming down a little, now, or in a little while, and will allow you to wash the wound with hydrogen peroxide, or betadine scrub, and then reapply the Neosporin, that would be advisable.

If you can have her wound assessed in person by a vet as soon as possible, the disinfection of the wound will be taken care of most efficiently by the vet.

For the moment, you're doing the best you can, considering she's frightened and hurting, so continue to reassure her and hopefully, she will calm down.

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Jessesmom on 9/7/2010 at 6:27 PM EST