Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Why my dog refuses to drink water?

Customer Question
my dog just won't drink...
my dog just won't drink water. She eats ok and plays but for the last 4 days she has not touched water. I have given water in a dropper and yesterday she half heartedly lapped 2 gulps but that's it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog
8/20/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
This is Dr. Devlin.

Can you please give me a little more information about your dog?

What is her name, and what breed is she?

Has she always drank very little water?

Is she eating these last 4 days, and has she had any vomiting or diarrhea? Can you think of anything she has done differently in the last 1-2 weeks before this started?

Finally, are you near her? If so, can you touch her gums and tell me if they are moist or very dry?

I'll be standing by to help. Sorry for all the questions - I just want to have a good feel for what is going on with her! Feel free to copy and paste if that helps.
Sincerely,
Dr. D.

it's a chihuahua...5yrs...had high wbc came down to normal for clavamox and enrofloxocin. after enrofloxacin was changed and baytril given she started loose stools...vomited one day...liver AST 466. BUN GGT and AKLP bit high but AKLP has come down by 200. Other tests all fine. Ultrasound was done ...uteruse linning was a bit thick but went down for antibiotics and has remained fine after 2mnths recheck. Gums are a bit dry not moist enough.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am concerned that your chihuahua is not drinking water properly. This is called hypodipsia or adipsia, and can lead to dehdyration and electrolyte abnormalities rapidly in such a small breed.

The cause for hypodipsia or adipsia can be complicated and in some cases can be difficult to determine a cuase.

With a history of elevated AST and ALT, liver disease or secondary stomach ulcers/erosions from liver disease would be on my list. Sometimes we see dogs with stomach upset, liver disease and pancreatitis, to name a few disorders, who will eat but not drink.

It sounds as though your girl has been to the vet quite a bit these last few months, but another exam and bloodwork is necessary at this point. The dry gums might indicate dehydration. I would get her scheduled as soon as possible. Try not to let her urinate right before your visit so that a sample can be taken to see how concentrated it is. In addition, a chem/cbc and electrolyte panel will be necessary.

At that point, your vet may have a good idea about what is causing the lack of water intake, and how best to treat.

I hope this information is helpful.

There isn't anything else I can think of that you can do for her at home at this time. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reply back. Also, once you know the cause, will you let me know? I am worried about her, too.
Sincerely,
Laura Devlin
what can I do with food to help her liver AST levels come down. She had normal liver values always till she did 5 days baytril. Baytril made her get loose stools almost like oil and then she vomited quite a few times...only the past 2 wks her liver tests are abnormal. Does AST show liver function? What is GGT and BUN?
AST shows liver function but is not as sensitive/specific in dogs as ALT. GGT is also a liver function test although it is used more for large animals.

BUN is urea nitrogen, and can be low with poor liver function or starvation, elevated with dehydration and decreased kidney function.

Yes, best to have her rechecked asap.

For nutrition to help her liver, there is a wonderful supplement that can help - denosyl or Marin - it contains s-adenosylmethionine, and the marin also has milk thistle. Vitamin E is helpful also. Reduced protein food can help if function is decreased, but may not be necessary to restrict protein at this time.

Your vet will carry special canned food to help the liver also, if he/she feels it is necessary - this would only be for advanced liver disease.

Unfortunately there can be SO many causes of elevated liver values, and sometimes it takes advanced testing and even a biopsy - anything from gall bladder disease, to viruses, parasites, bacterial infection, toxins, autoimmune diseases...It would not seem likely that the liver values changes were caused by the baytril, although it is possible (it's a very rare side effect, although diarrhea and vomiting are much more common). Baytril is a very good antibiotic to use in combo with amoxi for liver infections - and wonder if whatever process caused the elevated white blood cell count also affected the liver secondarily? It could be the baytril, but I would also not rule out other causes at this point since we don't know what caused her initial problems.

Info on denosyl:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1319

info on baytril - I know you are worried about this possibly causing the liver elevations:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=553

Per Plumb's Drug Book about Baytril:
the adverse effect profile of enrofloxacin is usually limited to GI distress (vomiting, anorexia). In dogs, rare incidences of elevated hepatic enzymes, ataxia, seizures, depression, lethargy and nervousness have also been reported.
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP