Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

dog: its legs - her tongue was blue - she came

My dog suddenly howled and kicked its legs - her tongue was blue - she came out of it fine what could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

Can you tell me how long this episode lasted

Did she recovery immediately

Did she seem unconscious at the time

Any history of heart problems
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It lasted about a minute or 2...my husband picked her up to put her on the floor and she was thrashing and kicking. We opened her mouth - to cathc her tongue in case it was a seizure and her tongue was a little blue. we also wondered if she was choking (happened about 10-15 min after her soft food and kibble dinner).

She did not seem unconcious...it cleared quickly after I patted her back. No history of heart problems..

she is a 13 year old pug

Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.
OK

It is possible that she had food lodged in her throat causing a lack of oxygen for a few minutes.
This could also have been a seizure as you originally suspected.
The other possibility and the one that most fits her symptoms including the initial cry before collapse is a problem called Syncope.
Syncope causes sudden collapse, which may last from seconds to minutes. Most fainting "spells" are due to low blood pressure or lack of oxygen delivery to the brain Since blood pressure is controlled by the heart and heart vessels the most common cause is associated with problems in the heart.
Alot of dogs will cry out just before one of these episodes and stiff legs or paddling is often seen which does cause most owners to think this is a seizure
Here is more information on this problem
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/syncope-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dogs who experience episodes of syncope are at risk for sudden death so keep a close eye on her. It would be best to have her seen by a vet to evaluate the heart. If you can have her seen tonight at your local animal emergency that would be the best option, if that is not possible I would suggest having her seen by your vet as soon as they open tomorrow.

Please let me know how she is doing, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns
Candy

Edited by Candy on 8/15/2010 at 10:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response...I am sorry I am having trouble understanding...she did not seem to lose consiousness...she was moving the whole time
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.
Ok,

Neither a seizure or syncope will cause unconsciousness in every case, and neither may be the cause however I would be doing an injustice to both you and your dog if I did not tell you that this is a possibility as I stated above it could have been something stuck in the throat however this seems unlikely since she had eaten 10-15 before this happened.

The blue tongue absolutely indicates a loss of oxygen and for this reason combined with the age of your dog I still think having her seen would be best.