How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19297
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbor has a giant bird of paradise plant. Its seeds

This answer was rated:

My neighbor has a giant bird of paradise plant. It's seeds fall into my yard in the spring. Although I try to pick them up, my standard poodle always gets a few and eats them. How dangerous is this and what can I do?

Hi,

 

Welcome to Just Answer. The bird of paradise plant seeds are considered toxic to dogs and cats. The toxic signs are - oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing and incoordination is possible. So as far as toxicity goes, it isn't severe as far as fatality situation. If he was to eat a ton of them he could have some significant intestinal upset.

 

I would say as long as you pick up as many as you can, and he doesn't eat that many - he should be ok.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This neighbor also has a large flat leaf palm whose seeds fall in the yard. Is this the same level of toxidity?
Do you know what species it is?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The palm in question looks like a large banana palm with large flat leaves. I haven't seen any bananas, however. The trunk is smooth and somewhat glossy. The seeds are on a multy strand stalk and are red when they begin poping off.

Ok. Sago and other Cycad or Zamia palms are problematic as far as toxicities. The Sago being very bad! But this is the very small (ornamental - it is now in many houses as a house plant that owners don't realize is bad).

 

The large palms that your describing shouldn't be toxic. Just make sure the seeds themselves don't get swallowed and cause a foreign body. That is where most of the time problems arise. They get ingested and stuck somewhere.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more question.
The same neighbor also has an oleander bush. I know these are highly toxic to dogs. I ask them to take it out but all they'll do is cut it back! What if the wind blows a leaf or flower into my yard and the dogs get it. What can I do?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any thing I can do for my dog, aside from rushing him to a vet, if he injests oleander leaves or flowers? How much time do I have?

The oleander toxicity is potentially a much more serious one as it can cause heart issues - all parts of the plant have a highly toxic cardiac glycoside much like digitoxin, and can cause diarrhea (possibly bloody), sweating, incoordination, shallow/difficult breathing, muscle tremors, recumbency, and possibly death from cardiac failure.

 

In your situation, I would try to make sure that a majority of the leaves are out of the yard when you let him out. If he's out there and eats one, the best thing you can do at home is to make him vomit right away to reduce toxicity.

 

To get your little one to vomit:

Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs vomit. Be sure to use three percent peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. One teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once.

 

This toxicity is one that if just one that we don't have a specific amount needed to cause the worst of signs. Obviously the more eaten the worse the potential. If a lot are consumed, I would recommend having him then taken to the ER clinic for charcoal administration and hospitalization for observation of heart problems.

Dr. Bruce and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you