Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

We have a pit bull - Brittany spaniel mix (Mollie) who is a

We have a pit bull - Brittany spaniel mix (Mollie) who is a year old that we rescued 3 months ago.
Recently she has started attacking our 6 year old Australian Shepherd mix (Cocoa) by grabbing her ears and neck region. Cocoa has always growled if one of the other dogs would get too close to her food dish. On at least one occasion, Mollie was walking past Cocoa's food dish (it was empty), Cocoa growled and Mollie attacked Cocoa. The latest incident occurred yesterday when I got home from work. I didn't hear Cocoa growl, but Mollie grabbed her by the neck and they tusselled until my husbad was able to open Mollies jaw, allowing Cocoa to break free.

Don't know if this is related, but Mollie will eat her poop if allowed to do so.

We have been keeping the dogs separated as much as possible. My husband has been working with Mollie on obedience training this week. What should we do about this aggression?

We have 3 young grandchildren that visit frequently. How do you feel about muzzling Mollie when they are in our home?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sally Grott :

hi and welcome to Just answer. I would buy a basket muzzle to use when the young children are around if you can't safely put the dog away in another room. If you can safely put the dog away then I wouold do that.

Sally Grott :

Your husband is working on obedience training, are you helping with that?

Sally Grott :

What else are you doing with the dog ? Have you picked up all dishes, toys, bones, etc?

Customer:

I certainly support and follow the obedience training that my husband is doing. He is retired and has taken it on as his project; I work a full time job, so don't have as much time to work with Mollie as he does.

Customer:

We have moved food dishes into separate rooms for feeding and pick them up when the dogs are finished. We don't have any bones, and they ignore the few toys we do have laying around.

Sally Grott :

thank you for that in formartion. I am going to type something up for you but it may take a bit longer than usual as I do have a rather large cut on my finger making it a bit difficult to type quickly and and without error:) So even though you may not see me in typing mode please know that I am typing it on a document to copy paste for fewer errors.

Customer:

thank you.

Sally Grott :

This is a scary situation because of the breed. But in order to get everyone under control you will have to work with all of the dogs in obedience because you want them all to respect you as the leader of the home and the only one who gets to dole out discipline. Definitely pick up all toys, bowls etc. because even though the dogs don’t bother with the toys, you want to have control over them. You are going to start them all on the nothing in life is free diet again so they start to look at you differently and you are putting them on the same playing field. No dog should be attacking any other if you are the leader and to establish yourself as leader you will now be taking control of every aspect of their lives. This will work in addition with the training. If you only train one dog, then it leaves a gap open for another to start with what you are now seeing in the fighter.

I am going to direct you to sites for this diet and it will explain how and why it works, but every one in the home must aide by it. Please remember that dogs do not see children as equal no matter what so there is still that situation to watch for and I would put all the dogs up when you have children around.

Nothing in life is free

http://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/yelp_Line/dogs/nothing_free.php

NILF being the leader

http://siriusdog.com/articles/kids-dogs-bites-safety-prey.htm

Sally Grott :

As it pertains to poop eating, in some cases this is bad habit, in others there is a metabolic issue and I would have the thyroid checked as when this is out of whack , then aggressive behavior can start.

muzzles basket

http://www.morrco.com/itpoldogmuz.html

Sally Grott :

is it understandable to you?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't understand the reason for changing their food to Nothing in Life Is Free. They all receive the same kind of food now.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
it is not a change of food, it is a training method.