Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years clinical experience. Own and operate a mixed animal practice.
22517207

My dog has had a sore back left leg on and off for a couple

My dog has had a sore back left leg on and off for a couple of months and tonight suddenly he is really struggling to move at all as his back legs are both swaying and making it difficult for him to move. then they will come good for a short time and then he cant move properly again. He is going to the vet tomorrow but is there anything I can do for him tonight?
Chat Conversation Started
drlarson :

You can give plain aspirin to help out with the pain. Roughly about how much does he weigh?

Customer:

He weighs about 6 kg but doesn't appear to be in pain or overly distressed, he just sways badly when he walks now and then and has been limping badly tonight. He seems really disabled by it and when he does walk his back hips are really swaying. He is booked in to see the vet tomorrow for a clip and to have his teeth done. I was just really worried about him and whether I should take him into emergency. But he's not in obvious pain.

drlarson :

There are a couple of things that can be going on. I would recommend x-rays in order to evaluate the hip joints to see what they look like. You could be dealing with some mild hip dysplasia or early arthritis. At 6 Kg, you can safely give up to 125mg Aspirin twice daily when he is showing these symptoms. Just make sure it is plain aspirin and not any of the newer generation otc pain relievers such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxin.

Customer:

OK. I'll use the aspirin if he starts to get worse but otherwise will get them to investigate it tomorrow when I take him to the vets. Thanks for the advice. Its put my mind at rest that he doesn't need immediate help. Thanks again.