How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terri Riba Your Own Question
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 32666
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Terri Riba is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog just ate half a roach bait trap what should i do or

Resolved Question:

my dog just ate half a roach bait trap what should i do or what should i look for to see if it has poisoned her
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 7 years ago.

Hello,

What age, breed and weight is she?

What is the name of the bait product?
Did she eat the plastic container?

 

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is 2 years old pit bull combat source kill max 0.03 fipronil active ingred. other ingred 99.97 percent yes half of the container
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

 

This will not poison her. The only thing we need to worry about is that she ate the plastic which could be sharp.

 

The poison is not harmful to dogs.It is a neonicatinoid (nicotinic receptor agonist) in the same catagory as imidacloprid (Advantage) and it is actually the active ingredient in Vectra 3d

More here on this drug:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/vectra-3d.html

http://www.combatbugs.com/

 

For the most part these roach traps are not toxic to dogs. If the dog ingests large numbers of them, then there might be more cause to worry, but just one or two should not contain enough poison to do anything at all. However, if your dog ingests the plastic portion, it can cause an intestinal obstruction . You can read about these and they symptoms of them on this website.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

 

 

Immediately give her some spongy food like cottage cheese,fiber bread, pasta, mashed potatoes to try and push it through. You can also put a dollup of plain vaseline on her paw for her to lick off. ASAP sprinkle a half teaspoon of metimucil on her food just in case of anything jagged That will make a cocoon around it and protect her GI tract.

 

It can take up to 30 hours to pass it. Keep an eye on her stool to make sure she does. If she develpes any constipation or abdominal pain, lethargy or pale gums blood in stool or in vomit she should be seen ASAP or will not eat or vomits food back up.

I will be here so please let me know how she is and when it passes.

I hope your baby will be fine.

Very sincerely,

Terri

 

Terri Riba and 4 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you