Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
1348006

MY MALE DOG HAS SWOLLEN NIPPLES AND A RED RASH ON HIS STOMACH.

Customer Question

MY MALE DOG HAS SWOLLEN NIPPLES AND A RED RASH ON HIS STOMACH. HE ALSO HAS A SKIN TAG THAT HAS GROWN TO BE ABOUT AN INCH AND A HALF LONG AND THE SIZE OF A MARBLE ROUND. HE IS VERY ITCHY. I USE A MONTHLY FLEA MEDICATION. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 7 years ago.
A red rash can be from a variety of things. WIthout specific tests, here's what I would recommend. FIrst, have the dog treated for sarcoptic mange with a dip in either paramite or amitraz. Most vets have one of these. Second, I would start the dog on corticosteroids to decrease the itching and redness. And third, I would use an antibiotic like cephalexin twice daily for a minimum of 2 weeks. If you do all of this and after 2 weeks there is not significant improvement, then additional tests, like skin biopsies, cultures, fungal tests, etc. may be needed.