Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

dog: has all of a sudden started urinating in the house

Customer Question
My dog has all of...
My dog has all of a sudden started urinating in the house and there appears to be blood drops following the urination. What might be causing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Dog Specialist: Walter, Breeder replied 8 years ago
Walter
Walter, Breeder
Chat Conversation Started
Walter :

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been with Just Answer since March 2006. Its my pleasure to work with you today! If you have any questions regarding my answer please use the reply button. If your satisfied with my answer please do not forget to click accept and leave feedback about me.

Walter :

Blood in the urine is a very serious matter this may caused by any number of multiple issues. It may be caused by infection, mineral sediment in the urine, or bladder stones that may be lodged in your dog's urethra. Not only is blood in the urine very serious to the dog, some of these conditions are also very painful! Since she does not sound to be in much pain, it is likely a infection and not a stone, though some dogs hide pain quite well so it is still a chance.

The urination in the house is from the infection or the stones, this is often the first sign of a problem when a normally house broken pet begins urinating in non appropriate areas. Then often we see dribbling, blood or a pet that can not pass urine due to the infection getting worse.

If she cannot urinate or has other signs of illness, get to the vet immediately. Otherwise you can set up a appointment with the vet by calling him today and letting him know what is going on. He may want you to bring her in tonight or in the morning.

Walter :

If you have any additional questions or need clarification on any of the above please use the reply button. If your satisfied with my answer please do not forget to click the accept button and leave feedback about your experience with me.

Customer:

She doesn't seem to have any problems urinating. She goes fine. There just seems to be a few drops of blood coming out after she's done. Our landlord sprayed some weed killer around the back yard last week. Could that have anything to do with it? My mom also just got a new puppy and we have had the puppy over here a couple times to "puppy sit". I know the blood probably isn't a result of this. But, maybe the going in the house?

Walter :

The weed killer would not cause these problems, and while the puppy going in the house "could" be causing the urinating problems the blood is a sure indication of a infection or stones. Even if you remove the urination issue, the blood is a serious symptom and indication of a infection which must be treated with antibiotics.

Customer:

Yeah...That's kind of what we were thinking.

Walter :

Unfortunately there isn't anything that would cause the blood in the urine that isn't serious so its something that must be handled by your vet.

Customer:

Okay...Thanks.

Walter :
Your very Welcome! If your satisfied with my answer please do not forget to click the accept button and leave feedback about your experience with me.