Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

my dog has been experiencing loss of balance, and becoming…

my dog has been experiencing...
my dog has been experiencing loss of balance, and becoming overly fatigued after short walk, or after being overly excited. It started a week ago and he has had three spells since the first one. he seems confused, off balance and weak. it passes after twenty minutes to an hour. Then he is back to his old self.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Does she have any history of a heart murmur?
Did your vet check chest x-rays or an EKG?
Does she ever cough?
No he has no histery of heart murmur. N the vet did not do any of the above mentioned tests. he is a very active weimeranar, so this type of behavior is very out of character. and the onset of the spells came all the sudden
Ok thanks,

My guess is that this is either going to be cardiac or neurologic in origin. More likely cardiac given the exercise intolerance and rapid return to normal. Neurologic dogs don't typically have exercise intolerance and they take hours to return to normal.

The best work up would be to go see a veterinary cardiologist and have them do an ultrasound of the heart (Echo), EKG to look for any arrhythmia and chest x-rays to look for heart enlargement, bronchial compression and fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema). Depending on the findings, he may go on a combination of heart meds. Typically this ends up being a diuretic (Furosemide/ Lasix), an ACE inhibitor to dilate peripheral vessels (Enalapril) and another heart drug (Pimobendan/ Vetmedin) or anti-arrhythmia med (Diltiazem, Atenolol, ect).

Without those tests, we're just guessing. The fact that this is a Weimer that does not want to go for long walks, that is extremely abnormal. Weimers should be dragging you until you collapse, not the other way around.

Here is a link to find a cardiologist around you:
http://www.acvim.org/websites/acvim/index.php?p=3

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you, that does help.
You're very welcome, best of luck with her.