Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Lab: My 2 year..swallowed..he threw up huge amounts of grass…

Customer Question
My 2 year old Lab/Malamute...
My 2 year old Lab/Malamute had surgery a month ago to remove a ball he had swallowed. Since then he has been on a small dose of pepcid daily. About 5 days ago he threw up huge amounts of grass. The vet gave him an anti nassuea shot and some antibiotics and sent us home. Now, when he eats he starts to regergitate his food almost immediatly. The throw up is his compacted food covered with a very thick white substance. Help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/28/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. How many times a day is he vomiting, and when did this start up again? What signs did he have prior to the surgery to remove the ball?

We saw him swallow the ball and when he didn't naturally rid of it after 1.5 days we took him in. The ball had traveled through his stomoch and was in the area that is right before the intestine (forgot what that spot was called). He had surgery at that time. He has been on Pepcid since. He had no symtoms until 5 days ago, he threw up 4 softball size piles of grass, I tried to feed him a little bit of food, he held it down so I gave him his medicine(phenobarb, he has siezures) I left for a few hours and when I came back he started to regurgitating and threw all the food I had feed him hours earlier. Took him to the vet, they gave him a anti nasseua shot and some anti biotics. He was good that night, but the next day after eating (boiled rice and hamburger) he did the same regurgitating movements but did everything he could to hold down the food. (he's starving) Yesterday my husband said he vomited up his food with some white foamy stuff in it. Today he did the same for me, the vomit was his food compacted together and was encased in a thick white foamy mucas, there was a tiny bit of blood.

Sorry for my delay. I'm worried with your little one that he's having this vomiting for that long of a period of time despite the therapy with the anti-nausea medication from your vet. Could he have unfortunatley eaten something else and it is stuck? I know that isn't something we want to have, but we have to have this on our list of rule outs. I've seen a handful of foreign body cases have to have a second surgery in the next month due to them eating something else. Very frustrating for those owners no doubt. At this point, I would say you need to have your vet perform some x-rays on him and blood work. The other possibility is a case of pancreatitis. Based on those tests, they can then take the next steps toward therapy.