Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

terrier: 10 years old..mixed..I walk her she turns in circles…

Customer Question
my dog is 10 years...
my dog is 10 years old she is a mixed york terrier & bison. My question is for the past couple of months whenever I walk her she turns in circles. Why does she do this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/27/2010
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 8 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

I would love to help I just need some additional information

When did this start

Does this only happen when she is on a leash

Do you use a collar or a harness

Does she always turn in the same direction

Does she seem painful anywhere

Is she acting normal other then this

I may have additional questions but this will get us started

1. It started about 6 months ago

2. It only happen when I'm walking her

3. I use a collar

4. Yes she always turns in the same direction

5. No she isn't in pain

6. Yes she acts normal other than the turning in circles

Ok,

Since this is only happening when she is walked I would suspect there may be some pain or discomfort in the neck area.This could be due to changes in the spine, problems with a disc etc.It may be that it is only uncomfortable when pressure is applied by the collar.That fact that she is always turning in the same direction further leads me to believe this may be the problem. Changes in the spine are common in older dogs.

The first thing I would suggest is switching to a harness for walks and see if this makes any difference, if discomfort in the neck is the problem you should see an immediate difference with the harness.

Circling can indicate a problem in the vestibular system however when this is the problem the symptoms are normally consistent and do not come and go.

If you see no change with the harness I would suggest having your vet take a look at her to be sure there is no problem with the neck , trachea or ears.

Please let me know if discontinuing the use of the collar helps if not we will explore further possibilities

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Edited by Candy on 6/27/2010 at 2:45 PM EST