Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 6 yr old Siberian Huskey that has not wanted to eat…

Customer Question
I have a 6 yr...
I have a 6 yr old Siberian Huskey that has not wanted to eat for the last 3 days, she drinks alot of water and shortly aferwards she will vomit.. today I took her to the vet and they gave her and antibotic shot and one for nausea.. and now she is shaking and her eyes are twitching and if you feel the top of her head at times it feel aomost like chatting teeth
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/27/2010
Dog Specialist: Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience

I'm sorry your furry girl is not feeling well. I'm so glad you were able to get her to the vet for evaluation and treatment, so she can begin to feel back to herself, soon!

From the symptoms you describe, it's possible that she has an infection in her system which is causing a fever, and that is why she's shivering. If the vet didn't check her temperature at the office, today, you can check it yourself, with a regular lubricated (Vaseline) rectal thermometer or a digital one. Normal for dogs is between 100.5 and 102.5. The antibiotic shot and the one for nausea should be long lasting, and begin to lower her fever (if she has one) and resolve the infection, but it might take a few days for her to start showing signs of mprovement.

If she does have a fever of 103 or more, you can help reduce it mechanically, by wiping her down with a cool, damp cloth (don't let her get a chill while her coat is damp) and wrap an ice pack in a towel, then hold it against her belly and under her arms for a few minutes on/a few off.

If you feel she is not improving and/or her symptoms are worsening or she has a fever higher than 103, definitely call to report this to your vet, and she may need to be seen again.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you have additional questions or need more information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher

The vet said she did not have a fever, and to limit het water intake to just a little bit at a time but often..and when you put your hand on top of her head just between her ears you really feel it almosts like it is popping

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm glad the vet said she did not have a fever.

The crackling sound you feel/hear when you touch the skin on top of her head, may indicate air or gas from infections under the skin; this may be related to her other symptoms, and possibly caused by a sinus infection. If the vet didn't feel this or it wasn't present at her vet visit today, bring it to the vet's attention as soon as possible, and an x-ray of her head/sinus cavity may be necessary.

Best wishes,
Cher