Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 9 year old German Sheperd, has the neroligical disorder…

Customer Question
My 9 year old German...
My 9 year old German Sheperd, has the neroligical disorder with his hind legs, so far he had been doing o.k., diganosed 3 months ago, but now his hind quarters must be bugging him, and he has licked his hind top quarter raw, and today I discovered Maggots on it. I had been putting rubbing alcohol on it, he is not moving much at all. His shit is runny and uncontrollable. He is 117 lbs.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/26/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Poor guy. I definitely wouldn't put any alcohol on it. I assume the area is raw and inflamed. That would probably sting. It would be best to get him to your vet to have the area cleaned and treated. They can give him medication to kill the maggots. The local emergency vet would be your next best choice if your vet is closed. If you cannot get him there today, I would wash the area really well with soap and water, and soak the foot in betadine solution (can get at local pharmacy - may need to be diluted) for 10 minutes. If his pain is not well controlled with the Rimadyl anymore, I would highly recommend talking to your vet about getting him on Tramadol as well. This will provide further pain relief for him. I wonder if some of his issues with his paw are occurring because he is dragging it as well. Sometimes that happens with advanced cases of degenerative myelopathy. You can go to your nearest pet store and see if they have little booties to put over the paws to help protect them. I know Petsmart carries them. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
The vet says he is in no pain, and he does not show pain the area affected with Maggots is on top of his hip, not the foot. I know about the booties, and it is not bad yet. I will cleans with betadine later

I am sorry. I thought you were talking about the paw. The recommendations for cleaning still apply. If it is degenerative myelopathy, it is true that it isn't a painful condition, so why is he on Rimadyl? That is an anti-inflammatory pain medication. Does he have any associated arthritis? With degenerative myelopathy, antioxidants, vitamins, diet therapy and exercise have seemed to help the most for controlling the condition. Vitamin E, Vitamin C, selenium, omega fatty acids and N-acetyl-cysteine have all been used, but they are still considered experimental treatments. The website below goes into these treatments, as well as specific diet therapy, in more detail. Hope this helps.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/degenerative-myelopathy/page1.aspx

I give him Rimadyl on the days he is not moving well, he is NOT ON RIMADYL I have thos meds in my cabnent, I have 4 Sheperds. I need to know why maggots are thier and what to do, the vet is not open today. Emergancy vet is 70 miles away. 117 lb dog is hard to lift, get to vet, and then drive 1hour home and get to work on time. Please advice as how to "patch" his wound aft er I get it cleaned.
The maggots are there because he has had a nasty wound that attracted flies. They lay their eggs in the wound, hence the maggots. The best thing you can do at home is clean it very well with soap and water and apply betadine solution. There is a chance, you are not going to be able to completely eliminate the maggots without some anti-parasitic medication. You can try apply some Frontline to his back. Sometimes that helps to kill the maggots after it has spread through the skin. You can buy this OTC at Petsmart and most local pet stores now. I wouldn't cover the wound. That will only make it worse. If you cut off the oxygen supply to the wound, it tends to fester more. Wounds need oxygen to heal. Hope this helps.
With his dignosis of degenerative myelopathy, and this turn of events, what would you do if this was your dog?
I would try and get the wound healed and some of the vitamin and immune supplements. If he is no better or starts to get worse, I would consider putting him down. At this point, I really can't tell you if euthanasia is the right choice for him now. I haven't ever examined him and don't really know him. You know him best and will know when his quality of life has diminished enough. Unfortunately, this disease is progressive. You can slow the progression with proper medication, but it still eventually gets worse. Most dogs with this problem last 6 months to a year from the onset of clinical signs. If the wound is severe enough, and he makes no improvement, I would say that his quality of life most likely has diminish enough where he is no longer comfortable. Hope that is what you were looking for. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you.

How is Riggs doing?