Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 8 year old daushund developed a lump where baytril was injected,

about a month after he...
My 8 year old daushund developed a lump where baytril was injected, about a month after he was treated for a urinary tract problem, the vet said he was not worried-that it is probally from the shot-it is a month later and lump is still there, he said he would do a biopsy if we wanted but it could make it worse-i do not know what to do -please advise
6/26/2010
Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I have a question so that I may better help:

Has the lump grown in size and does it irritate him at all?
lump does not seem to hurt him, and the size seems the same
Ok.
I have had this occur in dogs with the Rabies vaccine. I don't use a lot of injectable baytril so I can't say that I've seen this happen personally.

Skin reactions to injections can last up to 2 months.

In this case, as long as the size is remaining the same and your pup doesn't seem bothered by it then I think it would be ok to wait and see. Leave the lump alone for another 3 to 4 weeks. If it persists after that, then it may be a good idea to have the lump removed.

Dr. P
Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you for your advice-he did have a rabies vaccine in march, the baytril injection was in ealry may
Ok, then in reality it could be to both! Some dogs and cats are very sensitive.
Keep an eye on it and if it grows or changes then get it removed.

Best of luck
why could getting a biopsy make it worse? do you advise getting a biopsy before removing lump?
I don't see why a biopsy would make it worse unless he head a wound healing problem. If the lump is small enough, then I usually remove the whole lump and send it for biopsy rather than taking a small piece and then having to find out that you need to remove the whole entire thing. This prevents you from having to anesthetize the dog twice also.
The lump is located between shoulder blades, it seems to be able to move alittle, it is about the size of a macadamia nut-he is a long haired dauschund. how much would he have to be shaved and will fur grow back and about how long would a biopsy take-why did the vet say that a biopsy could make it worse-i am just so worried about him,
Ok, so for that size it would probably be a shaved patch at least 3ish by 3 inches. we usually shave a larger area than what we actually plan to remove. The size of the skin removed will be larger than the lump too. That is just to be sure that we get all of the lump plus some healthy tissue too. A biopsy usually takes about a week. I don' t know why your vet said that it may make it worse unless he was talking about doing a needle biopsy which is just poking a needle into the lump and then looking at the cells under a microscope.
If it were a certain type of mass (mast cell tumor) then sometimes poking it can cause an allergic type reaction.
he did want to do a needle biopsy if lump does not go away- the lump is under the skin but by the feel of it does not seem to be attached to skin. How hard is the biopsy and removal of lump on the dog's health he is a small dog- can he lose 3 inches of skin even if lump is under skin?
Oh no we shave about 3 inches. I don't think he'll lose that much skin!
From personal experience, biopsies of this size aren't complicated.
the vet also said that lumps in this area are very rarely cancerous, has this been your experience
Yes. Location to me seems very consistent with an injection site reaction.
would his fur grow back
It should. It will usually take a few months but it should come back.