Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog a Lhaso Apso, has been vomiting and has had diarrhea…

My dog a Lhaso Apso...
My dog a Lhaso Apso, has been vomiting and has had diarrhea all day today. He has only had dog food and water (that I know of). He has vomitted before and it is usually foamy, but this time his vomit smells as if it could have came from the other end. It also has full pieces of dog food in it. Should I take him to the ER? He has also been unusually thirsty.
6/25/2010
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Sir or Madam,

Are his vaccinations up to date?

Has he had any bones in the last couple of days?

Has he ingested any non food items such as paper, large amounts of grass, dead mice, small balls, etc?

It sounds like the food is coming up much the same way as it went down, is this correct?

Or is it a mixture of new almost whole food and old digested awful smelling stuff?

Did this just start today?

Is he still eating?

If not when did he last eat?

Hi Jane,
Yes, his vaccinations are up to date. He just came home from my mothers and for a week so I am unsure, but she normally wouldn't give him bones. I don't believe he ingested any non- food items, my mother is really careful when she keeps him.
The mixture is new food as well as old digested awful smelling stuff.

It started yesterday.

He is mostly drinking, but he is eating some.
He ate right before he started the vomiting.

Thanks for your help.

JaCustomer,

It may be that your little guy did eat something that didn't agree with him. Since his vaccinations are up to date at least things like parvovirus are not a likely cause. The thing that does concern me is the fact that the vomit smells like fecal matter. We see this when a dog has an intestinal blockage. Since the food can't come out the normal manner, it comes back out the way it went in which leads to vomiting the waste material up. Of course, if the dog is still eating, undigested food will come up along with the old matter. Now your dog is still having bowel movements though they are loose. This can indicate a partial obstruction. You can read about obstructions here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm546/Content_Links/DfDx/Dog%20Case%203/intestinal_obstruction.htm

I want you to put a drop of karo syrup on his tongue or pancake syrup to keep his blood glucose levels up and do this again about every 4 hours if he isn't eating. Similar symptoms can occur from pancreatitis and if a dog has been fed fatty foods, pancreatitis can occur. You can read about pancreatitis below.

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=23&COLLECTION=EncycIllness&MODE=full

I would withhold food for 6-12 hours to give his gastrointestinal tract a break. Then offer him some boiled chicken and rice (small portion). If he eats and it stays down, continue with small frequent meals of the bland food. However, if there is no improvement and he is still vomiting, then he will need to be seen by your vet.

In addition, if there is the possibility that he ingested a foreign object, I would not wait as the longer a blockage is present, the more potential damage that can occur to the ointestinal tract. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Ok, his most recent vomit was foamy. I have removed the food and plan on following your orders, but I wanted you to know the change.

Jacustomer,

When the stomach is empty the stomach may produce excess bile which causes stomach upset and many dogs vomit that up. You could try some

pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx

Just be sure to keep his blood sugar levels up with either the karo syrup or pancake syrup to prevent low blood sugar.