Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

we bombed house for fleas today.....was gone about 8-9 hours…

Customer Question
we bombed house for fleas...
we bombed house for fleas today.....was gone about 8-9 hours and had dogs and cats with us. one of the dogs has started drooling and foaming at mouth. can't find a local emergency animal clinic. can you please tell us what to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/24/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. I am sorry to hear about this concern. I have a few suggestions, and will wait for your reply so we can discuss.

Customer:

Please...let me know what to try

Dr. Andy :

Okay. My FIRST recommendation must be to try and find a local ER vet, since they can give much better supportive care. You can use this link to try and locate one:

Dr. Andy :

Now, if dealing with an allergic reaction, I would give Mollie Benadryl:

Dr. Andy :

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Benadryl

Dr. Andy :

In addition, you need something to settle the stomach. You can try any of the following:

Dr. Andy :

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

Dr. Andy :

I think that's the best I can offer from here........Dr. Andy

Customer:

Will either of these hurt her if i'

Customer:

sorry......if it's not an allergic reaction?

Dr. Andy :

Nope...not at all. Benadryl can be a bit sedating, like other antihistamines but that is it.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Andy :

What I DON'T KNOW is if that will be sufficient to help your pet. It's the best I can offer with OTC products. The ER would be best.

Dr. Andy :

You are welcome. Good Luck. I also greatly appreciate positive feedback, after you accept, if you get the chance. Thanks XXXXX