Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My rotweiller is not eating, has not defficated in several…

Customer Question
My rotweiller is not eating...
My rotweiller is not eating, has not defficated in several days, drinks water but is drewling will not eat anything. I tried to move her but she growled at me. She repositions herself every once in a while but that is it. Has just stayed in the room.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/23/2010
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Sir or Madam,

Is she spayed? If not, how long since her last heat cycle?

Any vaginal discharge?

Has she had any vomiting?

Any diarrhea?

Is she urinating more often?

How long since she ate?

Any abdominal swelling?

Can you check her gums and tell me if they are paler than normal?

Are they drier than normal?

These questions are important and if I could get answers to each one, it will help.

Ok, first she is spayed. No vaginal discharge. No vomiting and hasn't had a bowel movement or urination since Saturday morning. Haven't been able to get her to eat since Saturday. It seems that her abdominal area is a little tight and maybe a little bit swollen. Her gums seem normal.

Cobra,

There are a couple of reasons why a dog will stop eating including a mouth issue, and constipation to name a couple. Check your dog's mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give her som Buffered aspirin which can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. If you put it in her cheek pouch and keep her mouth closed she has to swallow it. If she is stubborn it might take a little while. If it is a mouth issue you will need to have her seen by your vet. I'll giveyou some other instruction on getting her to eat later.

Since it has been so long since she ate, I want you to put a couple of drops of karo syrup or if you don't have any, pancake syrup and put that on her tongue. This will help bring her glucose levels up and prevent her getting ill from low blood sugar. It will also give her a bit of an energy boost.

Constipation can cause a dog to not eat as well. Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods to cure constipation. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the dog's food should keep his bowels hydrated and her feces soft enough to pass.

A spoon of mineral oil on her food can also be used but should not be used all the time.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

You can use a children's glycerin suppository but the other methods are what I recommend you try first.

IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since you don't have other symptoms of bloat, that shouldn't be an issue, but I'm going to give you a link for future reference and for you to double check in case she has had other symptoms.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

If she isn't eating, then she may not have to defecate since nothing is going in, but she still should have eliminated what she ate before that. Her lack of urination despite drinking concerns me as well. At her age, she might be experiencing kidney or liver issues leading to a lack of appetite.

You can try tempting her with some boiled chicken and rice. You can also try some baby food like chicken or turkey that DOES NOT contain garlic or onion. You can put it in the cheek pouch which will get her to swallow. You can also replace the water with pedialyte to keep the electrolytes in balance.

Unfortunately, I think she needs to be seen as soon as possible if you can not get her eating tonight. Your vet should do a complete dental and bloodwork at a minimum. I would suspect a uterine infection and spayed dogs can develop an infection if a small piece is left in. This is called stump pyometra and can lead to swelling of the abdomen, a lack of appetite but we usually see some vomiting along with this.

I can't advise you to take her to the ER vet at this point in time as only you can see how ill she appears to be. I can give you the possibilities. I would definitely get her into your own vet. Hope this helps.