Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Lab: eyelid..We think he may have been stung by a bee...alleviate…

Customer Question
My Rotweiller/Lab dogs eyeball is...
My Rotweiller/Lab dogs eyeball is severely bloodshot and the bottom part of the eyelid is swollen. We think he may have been stung by a bee. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do to alleviate the severity of the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/22/2010
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

HiCustomer

Dogs can have allergic reactions to insect bites as can humans. You will want to keep an eye on your dog to see if she has an allergic reaction to the stings and bites. Most dogs don't have much problems with a few sting and bites. You can give Benadryl at a dosage of 2 mg per pound every 8 hours as a preventative. You can normally put a paste of baking soda on the site as well but if indeed it was that close to the eye, you can not. You can apply an ice pack as well but be sure the dog does not become uncomfortable from the cold of the ice pack. This might not be possible either given the area, so I wouldn't try this. If you notice excessive swelling or it appears your dog has difficulty breathing you will have to take your dog into the Vet as they are having a severe reaction.

Now the same symptoms can be attributed to an eye infection called conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye. You can clean any pus off your dog's eye with a warm washcloth. You can also flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer's use. Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems.

You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=251

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea.

So I would try the benadryl and see if that helps. Flush the eye with some sterile saline solution in case there is a foreign body in the eye and see if that helps. If you do not see improvement, I would have your dog seen by your vet to determine the underlying cause. I hope this information is helpful to you.