Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

rattlesnake bite to a 9 yr old lab

Customer Question
?...
rattlesnake bite to a 9 yr old lab ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/21/2010
Dog Specialist: Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist

I'm sorry to hear of this accident. How to treat rattlesnake bites has become controversial, with some still recommending tourniquets, while others don't. Most vets feel that does more harm than good. It's no longer recommended to try to suck the venom out of the wound. Everyone does agree that getting to a vet clinic as fast as you can is important. It's generally agreed that giving Benadryl may be helpful. As first aid only, it can reduce the swelling reaction that results from a rattlesnake bite. You would give 1 mg. per pound of the dog's body weight. I recommend that you give Benadryl, call the vet, and be on your way. Rattlesnake bites are seldom fatal to dogs, so there's no reason to panic, but they can be serious and do require quick medical intervention. There's a little more information on these sites:

http://www.web-rover.com/dogbite/snake.php

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dsnakebite.html

If your dog frequents areas where there are rattlesnakes, for future protection, you might want to consider is the new rattlesnake vaccine. Any vet can order it. Your dog would need two shots to begin with, followed by a booster each year. It is somewhat controversial.The pros and cons of the vaccine are outlined here:

http://placervillevet.com/rattlesnake_vaccine.htm

If you have additional questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Sam will be fine.

Anna