Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Great Dane: male, 7 mos old and he cut his foot yesterday afternoon…

Customer Question
I have a Great Dane...
I have a Great Dane, male, 7 mos old and he cut his foot yesterday afternoon. Top of third toe about 1" long. Did not appear to be deep. Used peroxide to clean, did not bleed, however this am it is swollen. Does not appear to be sore to touch, however he holds it up when he walks. He is eating and drinking. Should I give him some antibiotics? or what? What will help with the swelling? I cannot afford an emergency trip to the Vet Office, but I want to help him. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/20/2010
Dog Specialist: Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert replied 8 years ago
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert

Dear friend,

I am sorry your boy hurt himself.

Since it is swollen apply cold compresses or ice packs- 10 minutes on and 20 off for two hours to bring down the swelling.

do not use any more peroxide because it can damage tissue.

You can also soak in water and Epsom salts to draw out the infection.

Use plain neosporin three times a day. It is safe if he licks a bit.

to keep it clean put a sock on his foot when he goes out. You can tape it at the top she he cannot pull it off.

please let me knowhow he is doing.

Best wishes for him,

Terri

What about antibiotics? I have penicillin that we have here for our large animals.

I would not start him on any antibiotics because the bacteria could become resistant to Pen. We usually use clavamox or clindamycin for wounds.

He should recover with the home treatment that was recommended above.