Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

lab mix: 6 months old..biting..his right ear down and limping a bit…

Customer Question
I have a puppy who...
I have a puppy who is a lab mix, he is about 6 months old. Today he started shaking his head constantly and biting at nothing, he is also favoring one side of his body. He is walking with his right ear down and limping a bit on his right side?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/17/2010
Dog Specialist: Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Hi, and thanks for your question about Rocky.

I'm so sorry he's exhibiting these symptoms and feeling uncomfortable. From your description, it's possible that he does have an ear infection, he could have ear mites, and/or there could be another type of problem.
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/earinfections.html

Biting at the air could due to be a neurological condition related to seizures, called 'fly snapping'. http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/flybite/flybite.html

It would not be advisable to use a medication not prescribed for Rocky, until you know the cause of his symptoms. Try to have him seen in person by a vet as soon as possible, so he can be definitely diagnosed, and then prescribed the most appropriate treatment.

I hope all will be well with Rocky!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher