Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

dog: He itches so much that he is making sores..constantly itching…

Customer Question
My dog keeps itiching. He...
My dog keeps itiching. He itches so much that he is making sores all over his body. What can be wrong or what can I do to prevent him from constantly itching
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/17/2010
Dog Specialist: DrAmy, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
DrAmy
DrAmy, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for your question!

I just wanted to ask a couple questions so I can give you the most specific answer.

1. How much does your dog weigh?

2. How much Benedryl are you giving and how often?

3. How long has he been itching? days, weeks, months?

4. Is he licking his paws also?

5. Do the insides of his ears look red?

I will wait for your reply. Thanks!

Hello and thank you for your question!

1. How much does your dog weigh? 12 lbs

2. How much Benedryl are you giving and how often? 2 times a day

3. How long has he been itching? days, weeks, months? weeks

4. Is he licking his paws also? yes

5. Do the insides of his ears look red? no just dark pink

Thank you for the additional information!

Dogs can be itchy for a number of reasons. Fleas, mites, food allergies, environmental allergies, yeast or bacterial skin infections. Licking of the paws is a classic sign for allergies in dogs. If the itchiness is severe, the skin can get a secondary infection that makes the itching worse. A skin infection can look like sores all over the body. Another possibility is that the sores are a result of him scratching, chewing, licking.

I would recommend a visit to your vet for this problem. They can help find out why he is itching and start treatment to get him some relief. It sounds like his symptoms are severe enough to need prescription medications.

I can tell you what I do for a pet like yours that comes to see me for itchy skin. First, I find out if the pet is on a regular flea preventative and check for fleas. Then, I check the sores for signs of infection. This can be done using a skin swab and examining the sample under the microscope. If I'm concerned about mites, I will do a skin scrape test to check for these.

One scenario that is going on is your dog has developed a secondary skin infection and needs oral medication to help treat it. If there is a bacterial infection, he would need an antibiotic. If there is a yeast infection, he would need an anti-fungal medication. The other possibility is that there is no infection yet but he would benefit from a stronger medication to get some relief.

Here is an article that discusses allergies in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=597

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can elaborate on anything further. I am here to help.