Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

dog: lay..couch..flinch or yelp with pain, tonight he just wimpered…

Customer Question
My dog has not been...
My dog has not been able to put any weight on his right hind leg, now he can not bare weight on his right front leg either. We have to pick him up and lay him on the couch. He does not flinch or yelp with pain, tonight he just wimpered when we talked to him. He has not eaten or drank any water since Monday. We have put rat poison out in areas he can't get to but we are afraid that he may have killed chipmunks or squirrels that have injested the rat posion. Could he be posioned or could he have had a stroke?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/17/2010
Dog Specialist: ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse replied 8 years ago
ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse

I am sorry your dog is having so much trouble.

What color are his gums?

Has he vomited or passed any green rat bait in his stool?

Any vomiting or diarrhea at all?

Are the limbs that he cannot use cold to the touch?

Can he get up and walk at all?

Let me know and i will try to help.....

gums are pink have not noticed any diarreah limbs are not cold to touch he can get up takes alot of effort and he can't walk with him holding both legs on the right side up
Thank you so much for the additional information. I think that your dog may have experienced a stroke like episode, or some other neurological event (seizure, disc issue or spinal cord injury from trauma or disease process). It is good that the legs are not cold, but the fact that he has not been eating and drinking elevates his status to very serious. He is likely dehydrated, malnourished, and may even be experiencing low blood glucose and serum protein levels along with elevated kidney and liver enzymes. Basically, your dog can experience kidney and liver failure, and can experience such low blood glucose levels that he experiences seizures, collapse and even death. I think that a trip to the ER tonight is a good idea, and that your dog might need to be hospitalized, placed on iv fluids, and may even need blood or plasma transfusions. Blood and urine tests as well as x-rays may also be needed to figure out what is going on. I do not think your dog can wait until tomorrow morning, and I suspect he may need 24 hour care for a day or two, which most regular vets cannot provide. Having him seen tonight will go a long way to make him more comfortable, and will be less expensive overall. Please consider taking him to the nearest ER and let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your handsome man, I hope he feels better soon and that nothing too serious is going on :)